Saturday, April 1, 2023

D&D Babble: The Aftermath

 As the gargantuan juggernaut rose out of the flaming pool of lava, the heroes (and the DM) steeled their resolve to fight in what would be their most challenging battle to date.

When I was a lot younger, I used to play guitar quite a bit. I was self taught and didn't know much, but could sing and made reasonable amount of noise that could be misconstrued as music. The problem was that I had the horrible habit of making an utter fool and failure of myself the moment you put me in the limelight. Sure, I had times where I didn't choke, but the times I did were... memorable.

Long story short, this is a persistent fear in me now and drives my performance anxiety to its limits.

Fortunately, despite what my anxiety was trying to tell me, I didn't drop the ball (or the robot) this time. In fact, I had quite a bit of fun.

It's eyes glows bright and fires radiant light down on the heroes.

They say that, like characters, game masters have alignments. I'm definitely of the more benign DMs out there. I cheered and encouraged as the party whittled down this enormous construct before them. I did get to blast them with eye beams - which was fun - and I got to slap around a player who had turned into a dragon, but I was still cheering as they found creative (and destructive) ways to deal with their foe.

In the end, time was the biggest enemy. We had three hours and the objective wasn't completed by that time. We improvised and I hope that the players still felt like they had accomplished something big.

I won't be sitting in for the conclusion of the campaigns. Time, again, is the enemy in this regard. But I am hoping that with the ending of their journey, they will feel determined, liberated, and satisfied. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your own twak!