Tuesday, March 30, 2021

DM Babble: Pantheon

I've begun creating a pantheon for my world. This might be a good idea or a bad idea, but it was a fun exercise, so I figure that all is not lost even if there are probably too many gods listed.

I watched a number of videos on Youtube and read some articles on the subject. One can really go pretty epic with gods and their histories and whatnot. Some good material to be found by watching Anto from Icarus Games.

Here's how I created mine: 

  1. I listed a bunch of domains that these gods would reside over.
  2. I wrote down names of gods and allocated them to the domains, preferably more than one domain at a time.
  3. I decided to pay homage to some people/characters by making them gods. Because, of course Mercer would be the god of magic? How could he not?
  4. Added a column for descriptions and interactions the gods have with each other and the world.
  5. Had fun fun fun!
My list is by no means done, I still need to work out more of the inter-workings of the gods, but here are some of my favourites:
  • Deduinne - god of Revelry and Strength, worshipped most often by Goliaths and Dwarves. Named after Grog Strongjaw, Critical Role (Dedoink... get it?)
  • Anri - god of Deception and Trickery, at odds with his twin brother Dolos, called The Prankster.
  • Dolos - god of Deception and Trickery, at odds with his twin brother Anri, called The Liar.
  • Kawi - god of Dreams, Knowledge and Secrets, believes knowledge should be gained with hard work and experience. Secrets are treasures waiting to be revealed.
  • Vimpe - god of Nightmares and Pain. Takes the form of a firey black Nightmare (horse). Named after my friend's horse Wimpie who threw her off.
So not much of a long post, but just thought I'd pop in an update here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your own twak!