Tuesday, May 21, 2024

40th Mischief and 50th session

Last week I celebrated my 40th bday. It went as gracefully (if not more gracefully) than my 30th and for that I am grateful. Birthdays are always tricky affairs, but my day went really well with the exception of one slight thing. So I can't complain.

My birthday week involved travelling about 10 hours in total by car by me onesy as I headed from Gqeberha to Mossel Bay and back. 

Map of Southern Africa with markers at Gqeberha and Mossel Bay

Once I got to Mossel Bay, I spent approximately three-and-a-half hours by a very talented tattoo artist who put a picture on my shoulder that we had been collaborating on for about a couple of months. This is a significant move for me. I don't put any tattoos on my skin if there isn't some kind of detailed significance to the act. My first was in mourning. This one was in celebration of something that has helped keep me sane and stable - namely TTRPGs.

The tattoo is that of a (cutesy) dragon in flight, grasping a 20-sided die in its front paws - presumably to add it to its hoard. I've named the dragon Mischief and I don't have a picture of it in a fully healed state, so I will share the pic we took on the day of inking.

Image of tattoo

Once Mischief is fully healed, I might make it the profile pic to this blog.

To celebrate my closer proximity to hagdom, I spent most of this past weekend playing D&D. I had two TNO (my homebrew) sessions - one with the SA+ crew on Friday and the other with the North Americans on Sunday morning. I had a D&D game I play in on Saturday where I got to draw from the Deck of Many Things, got one of the best cards (it gives you wishes), and almost immediately used a wish on the DM at an unexpected time... So that was fun. 

The Friday game was particularly significant as it was our 50th session playing TNO. I've babbled about my homebrew at length on this blog so I won't go too much into it now, but it is still remarkable that a game I thought was going to die six sessions in has lasted as long as it has and isn't even remotely close to a conclusion. New places, new challenges, new people, and new character progression levels means that there's always something that can happen to keep things from being stale. Or at least I hope so. 😛


No comments: