Sunday, March 24, 2013

I is crazy please shoot me now

What was I thinking?

What am I thinking?

My frenzied, maniacal charge through Nanowrimo last year was done with the backing of a full six months' worth of planning (yeah, I double checked my notes and chats, it had actually been that long). And although I didn't work through all of the notes, hadn't finished and can probably consider the story only 65% complete, what remains is hardly as detailed. That was supposed to have come later.

So why, oh why, was it that a brief twitter conversation that started with someone saying this...
Ola!! You doing Camp Nano with us? We have coffee! And cookies ;-)

...ended with me saying:

 *laughs* Fine! But you better be bribing me with awesome cookies, madam :D

Please someone kill me now.

The worst part of it is that the evil woman who tweeted her accursed offer of cookies at me lives on the other side of the country. I've never met her and most likely won't. *mutters* Probably poisonous cookies.



So what is it?

Well, as you can guess from the name, Camp Nanowrimo an offshoot of Nanowrimo (National Novel Writing Month... although it's interNational now, but anyhoo). There are some distinct differences, but the idea of it is the same. You sit and write a story from scratch aiming to reach a specific wordcount by the end of the month. One of the differences to Nano being that you can actually set your own target. Camp Nano also allows you to choose between one of two months (or both) to participate - namely April and July. It makes use of the Nanowrimo forums as a means for participants to communicate. Camp Nano also allows them to be grouped into 'cabins'. These cabins can be a group of strangers who have a similar interest or friends who try and be grouped together. My suspicion is that, due to the participation of Camp Nano being considerably less, municipal liaisons aren't really there to fire up the local group. The cabins are there to push up morale so that you don't feel like you're the only one participating.

Camp Nano is essentially there for those who couldn't get enough of Nanowrimo or those whose Novembers are far too busy to participate.

There are of course as always some Nano Rebels. People who use the time and deadline for their own nefarious schemes such as writing screen plays, writing 30 poems instead writing fiction to satisfy a word count, writing non-fiction, writing a collection of short stories instead of a novel, continuing old work rather than starting something new. (I don't really consider the last one that much of a rebellion, but I'll be falling into that category this month.)

So what's my target?

I'll be aiming for 50k again. Yes, I know. I'm going to hate myself, but I know I can make it. I'm not aiming for higher and frankly babbling 1667 words a day - not really a challenge for me. That is, if I have a storeroom filled with ideas.

So I have 6.5 days left before the April craze begins. What I will be doing until then?

Such a silly question. Of course I will be PLANNING!!!!!!!!!

I'm not a pantser.




Those better be bloody good fictitious cookies...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your own twak!